Annette and Cecil
Today would have been my mother’s 93rd birthday. She passed away Dec. 6, 2011. I am blessed with good memories:
- her stories about her growing up in rural Mississippi;
- tales of her courtship with my dad;
- her adventures as a newlywed following Pearl Harbor, moving with my dad across the continent in the months between his entering the Army as a private compliments of the draft and his shipping out of San Francisco as a lieutenant bound for the Philippines to fight in World War II;
- her vivid accounts of those early years of marriage after the war;
- her ingenuity, humor and ability to conjure fun out of thin air;
- her example.
I am blessed that the love she lavished lives on.
And I am blessed when I see in my children and grandchildren character traits that I loved about Mother, including some that could occasionally drive me crazy.
Remembering has brought tears and laughter today.
I love you, Mama.